Benkei is a devious individual who uses money and deceit to get what he wants. Despite his formidable power, he is rather lazy. He prefers to avoid direct combat, only fighting when no other options are available.
Benkei was originally of the Oni race of Planet O-06 before becoming a Samurai. He eventually found himself in the service of Yoshitsune. While he served faithfully enough to earn his master's trust, he became envious of him and sought to steal what he had. When the time came for Yoshitsune's son Sanda to be tested for compatibility with a Locker Ball, Benkei manipulated the results to make his master believe Sanda could never become a Samurai. He then used Yoshitsune's trust in him to convince him to try making Sanda a Samurai anyway despite the odds of him surviving Seppuku.
When Yoshitsune went after Sanda, he alerted his master's wife/princess to her husband's actions, and she rushed to intervene and was injured. When Benkei checked on her, her found that her injuries weren't life threatening. Rather than help her, he killed her, then told his master that he struck the fatal blow. Believing himself responsible, Yoshitsune was overcome by shame and died on the spot, after which, Benkei took Yoshitsune's Key and Samurai Soul for himself. He then took Sanda, who changed his name to Kotsuga, on as a student and subordinate in his moneymaking schemes. He then abandoned the Gozanze School and took to the stars in his master's Holder, where he became infamous for stealing Keys from other Samurai.
Abilities and Powers
- Samurai Gravity: Benkei has a limited degree of control over the molecules that form matter and the gravity H-Particles emit. His power to reshape matter and gravity at will allows for the use of generic samurai abilities.
- Healing Factor: Benkei's body can repair itself from any injury.
- Holder Control: Benkei is able to reshape the body of his Holder into various forms.
- Gravitational Pull: Like all samurai, Benkei has a gravity that can inadvertently draw other samurai keys to him. This can also works in reverse, leading him to other samurai.
Even though he is a Samurai, Benkei has a very weak key which could not download any license. To compensate, Benkei stole the keys of stronger Samurai and connected them to his own, storing the bound keys in a pack attached to his back. However, the pack was broken in his fight with Daruma. Because he has stolen keys from practitioners of the Kongo-Yasha, Daiitoku, Gozanze, and Gundari Styles, he is able to use moves from all four styles.
- Samurai Soul: A samurai soul can be fused with a Handle Bone from a Holder turning into an energy blade stronger than any metal blade. Benkei possesses his own personal Samurai Soul
and his late master's Samurai Soul.
- Benkei's Samurai Soul Blade: By combining his personal Samurai Soul with and incredibly long Handle Bone stored in his left arm. Benkei combines them to form a powerful naginata.
- Yoshitsune' Samurai Soul Blade: Using the Handle Bone stored in his right arm, Benkei can shape his late Master's Samurai Soul into a katana.
- Gozanze Style
- Daiitoku Style
- Gundari Style
- Kongo-Yasha Style
- Benkei (
弁 慶?) means "Strong Person" and is the name of a 12th-century warrior monk.
- Saito Musashibo Benkei (
西 塔 武 蔵 坊 弁 慶Saitō Musashibō Benkei?), was a Japanese warrior monk (sōhei) who lived in the latter years of the Heian Period (794–1185). Benkei led a varied life, first becoming a monk, then a mountain ascetic, and then a rogue warrior. He later came to respect and serve the famous warrior Minamoto no Yoshitsune. He is commonly depicted as a man of great strength and loyalty, and a popular subject of Japanese folklore, showcased in many ancient and modern literature and productions.
- The historic Benkei would collect the weapons of the enemies he's slain. This could be what inspired Benkei's collection of Samurai Keys.